Re: Prepared transactions vs novice DBAs, again

From: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
To: jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Prepared transactions vs novice DBAs, again
Date: 2009-04-22 18:43:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 2009-04-22 at 11:00 -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Then perhaps a setting like max_stale_prepared_transaction_age and once
> that threshold is met it will autorollback?

I think that defeats the safety of prepared transactions in many cases.
Let's say you PREPARE TRANSACTION on two systems, and then COMMIT
PREPARED on the first one. Then, you go to COMMIT PREPARED on the second
one, and the time has lapsed so you can't (and you can't rollback the
first one, either).

Regards,
Jeff Davis