Re: Implicit make rules break test examples

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Donald Dong <xdong(at)csumb(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Implicit make rules break test examples
Date: 2019-01-02 19:07:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Donald Dong <xdong(at)csumb(dot)edu> writes:
> I think #3 is a better choice since it's less invasive and would
> potentially avoid similar problems in the future. I think may worth
> the risks of breaking some extensions. I moved the rule to the
> Makefile.global and added $(X) in case it's set.

Yeah, I think #3 is the best choice too.

I'm not quite sure about the $(X) addition --- it makes the output
file not agree with what gmake thinks the target is. However, I
observe other places doing the same thing, so let's try that and
see what the buildfarm thinks.

> I also updated the order in Makefile.linux in the same patch since
> they have the same cause. I'm not sure if changes are necessary for
> other platforms, and I am not able to test it, unfortunately.

That's what we have a buildfarm for. Pushed, we'll soon find out.