Re: List Message Footer

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, David Blewett <david(at)dawninglight(dot)net>, "pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: List Message Footer
Date: 2009-03-18 00:46:15
Lists: pgsql-www

On Tue, 2009-03-17 at 21:35 -0300, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Mar 2009, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>
> > Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> >>
> >> following the rest of the thread, I got the feel that nobody really likes
> >> the idea ... especially since the information is already part of the
> >> message headers ...
> >
> > Well, Tom doesn't like it, Magnus doesn't either, I don't like it ...
> > but the unwashed masses? I'm not so sure.
>
> I'm flexible on it ... not sure what it gains since the information is
> already present ...

The information isn't already present. That is the problem. Please do
not be fooled by the ridiculous suggestion that people should, "view
source" or "expand all headers".

We started down this path of hacking together our infrastructure based
on msgids in the first place. Let's at least make it easy for people.

(commit fest pages, searching for msgid via the archive search box etc).

The msgid has basically become the community PRIMARY KEY :P
Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

503-667-4564 - http://www.commandprompt.com/
The PostgreSQL Company, serving since 1997