Re: xpath processing brain dead

From: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Nikolay Samokhvalov <samokhvalov(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: xpath processing brain dead
Date: 2009-03-02 14:12:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, 2009-03-02 at 15:25 +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Hannu Krosing wrote:
> > Is it just that in you _can't_ use Xpath on fragments, and you _need_ to
> > pass full documents to Xpath ?
> >
> > At least this is my reading of Xpath standard.
>
> It is easy to read the XPath standard that way, because the concept of
> fragments is not defined outside of SQL/XML, and is therefore unknown to
> the XPath standard.

How is the opposite - Does SQL/XML specify Xpath usage for XML(SEQUENCE)
and XML(CONTENT) ?

> The question at hand is rather whether we can
> usefully adapt it.

This sounds like trying to adapt integer arithmetic to
lists-of-integers.

Even for simple things like addition, there are several ways of doing it

[1,2,3] + [1,1,1] = [1,2,3,1,1,1]
[1,2,3] + [1,1,1] = [2,3,4]
[1,2,3] + [1,1,1] = [[1,2,3],[1,1,1]]

all seem possible and "logical"