Re: reducing the footprint of ScanKeyword (was Re: Large writable variables)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: John Naylor <john(dot)naylor(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg(at)bec(dot)de>, David Rowley <david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, John Naylor <jcnaylor(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: reducing the footprint of ScanKeyword (was Re: Large writable variables)
Date: 2019-01-09 19:44:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I wrote:
> Also, I fail to understand why fmgr_builtin_oid_index has 10000 entries
> anyway. We could easily have fmgrtab.c expose the last actually assigned
> builtin function OID (presently 6121) and make the index array only
> that big, which just about eliminates the space advantage completely.

Concretely, like the attached.

We could make the index table still smaller if we wanted to reassign
a couple dozen high-numbered functions down to lower OIDs, but I dunno
if it's worth the trouble. It certainly isn't from a performance
standpoint, because those unused entry ranges will never be touched
in normal usage; but it'd make the server executable a couple KB smaller.

regards, tom lane

Attachment Content-Type Size
make-fmgr-builtin-oid-index-smaller.patch text/x-diff 4.6 KB