Re: Synchronous replication & Hot standby patches

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Niranjan (NSN - IN/Bangalore) K" <niranjan(dot)k(at)nsn(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Synchronous replication & Hot standby patches
Date: 2009-02-24 19:30:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 2009-02-24 at 13:25 -0600, Kevin Grittner wrote:

> Right. I was made a bit nervous by Joshua's comments, but somewhat
> reassured by his reference back to Heikki's comments. If we can make
> common cases simple to implement, that's great, as long as we don't
> lose functionality needed to cover the more complex cases.

Right. That is my only point. I am not looking to "dumb down"
postgresql. I am saying that the "default" solution should be that
simple.

Autovacuum is the same way for example. The "default" solution works for
95% of the users out there without having to tweak any knob. The knobs
are there *if* they break out of the 95%.

> Even in context, that came off as a bit user-hostile. It probably
> wasn't meant that way, but it sounded provocative to me.

Sorry I am in rare form today. I wasn't trying to be provocative at all
but was trying to be succinctly clear on what my belief about this is.

> If the point was that we should not require anything more for
> configuring a common, simple case then I'd agree.

Right.

Joshua D. Drake

503-667-4564 - http://www.commandprompt.com/
The PostgreSQL Company, serving since 1997