Re: Hot standby, recovery infra

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Hot standby, recovery infra
Date: 2009-01-29 14:10:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 2009-01-29 at 15:31 +0200, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:

> Now when we restart the recovery, we will never reach
> minSafeStartPoint, which is now 0/4000000, and we'll fail with the
> error that Fujii-san pointed out. We're already way past the min
> recovery point of base backup by then.

The problem was that we reported this error

FATAL: WAL ends before end time of backup dump

and this is inappropriate because, as you say, we are way past the min
recovery point of base backup.

If you look again at my proposal you will see that the proposal avoids
the above error by keeping track of whether we are past the point of
base backup or not. If we are still in base backup we get the error and
if we are passed it we do not.

--
Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com