Re: 8.4 release planning (was Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Automatic view update rules)

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 8.4 release planning (was Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Automatic view update rules)
Date: 2009-01-26 15:30:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, 2009-01-26 at 12:05 -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Simon Riggs wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 2009-01-26 at 13:35 +0200, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> >
> > > Well, big features that land early in the release cycle don't delay the
> > > release. Just the ones that are submitted in the last commit fest.
> >
> > Has that ever happened? :-)
> >
> > I don't think its chance we get big patches in last commit fest. No
> > sponsor I ever met was happy to both sponsor and to wait. The two seem
> > mutually exclusive.
>
> How come it works for Linux?

Not sure. How come up it happens here is a more relevant question.

I can only tell you that people only get their cheque books out when
they are certain somebody else will not do it for them for free.

This happened to you also, or did you have this terrible desire for CRC
checks on data blocks quite late in release cycle? If there hadn't been
blockers you'd be being lightly barbecued on the patch queue also. :-)

--
Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com