Re: 8.4 release planning (was Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Automatic view update rules)

From: Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim(at)gunduz(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Bernd Helmle <mailings(at)oopsware(dot)de>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 8.4 release planning (was Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Automatic view update rules)
Date: 2009-01-26 10:44:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> If we want to ensure that 8.5 development opens soon, what we have to
> do is reject those two patches, revert updatable views, and finish up
> the other stuff (which is all small and could likely be dealt with in
> a week or two). That puts us in position to go beta by perhaps
> mid-February with release perhaps on May 1. If we don't, I hereby
> predict that 8.4 release will not happen before September.

Expecting a release around September with those patches a bit
optimistic, IMHO. We already experienced that a release just after
summer is not possible. So, unless there is a way to commit SELinux+Hot
Standby+Sync Replication in the next two weeks (or so), as you wrote, we
should reject those patches and release 8.4 on time.

(Oh, personally I'd like to see all these features at 8.4, from advocacy
side).
--
Devrim GÜNDÜZ, RHCE
http://www.gunduz.org