Re: Pluggable Indexes (was Re: rmgr hooks (v2))

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Pluggable Indexes (was Re: rmgr hooks (v2))
Date: 2009-01-22 03:49:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 2009-01-21 at 17:49 +0000, Simon Riggs wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-01-21 at 18:24 +0200, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:

> Bruce Lindsay, IBM Fellow and long term DB guru was interviewed in 2005:
> Q: If you magically had enough extra time to do one additional thing at
> work that you're not doing now, what would it be?
>
> "I think I would work on indexing a little harder".
>
> (He mentions XML indexing, multi-dimensional indexing etc)
> [Taken from SIGMOD Record, June 2005]

I am curious. I read this whole current thread. What is "wrong" with the
patch? As I understand it it does not increase complexity. It appears to
only expose (or perhaps abstract?) existing functionality into a usable
API that is not dependent on something being in core.

Imagine if at some point to develop new index types or perhaps single
purpose modified index types all you needed was knowhow, pgxs and too
much time.

Unless there is something "wrong" with this patch I say we need to stop
arguing semantics and apply it.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

503-667-4564 - http://www.commandprompt.com/
The PostgreSQL Company, serving since 1997