Re: Hot Standby dev build (v8)

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Hot Standby dev build (v8)
Date: 2009-01-19 15:22:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, 2009-01-19 at 16:50 +0200, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> Simon Riggs wrote:
> > I prefer the last one, but if you think otherwise, please shout.
>
> We're now emitting WAL records for relcache invalidations, IIRC. I
> wonder if those are useful for this?

Tom already objected to putting strange inval messages into WAL.

Hmm, DROP USER is transactional, so we can only do this at commit. So
forget the other ideas I had.

We already know about the auth file update at commit.

So we should say, at commit, re-read the list of roleids in use and if
any don't match a row in pg_user then remove them. If we do that after
the flat file update and the actual commit that removes the user then we
will be guaranteed no race condition exists to allow new users to logon
as we try to disconnect them.

--
Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com