Re: still having pg_user error

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Joel Fradkin" <jfradkin(at)wazagua(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: still having pg_user error
Date: 2005-01-21 05:47:43
Lists: pgsql-sql

"Joel Fradkin" <jfradkin(at)wazagua(dot)com> writes:
> Well I re-installed Fedora 3 and updated my postgres and started the =
> service
> (no command line stuff).

> When I connected using pgadmin I still got the sp_user error.

Fedora 3? You should've mentioned that before. I'll bet you've got
SELinux enabled in enforcement mode. SELinux interferes with initdb
and I believe a missing pg_user view is one of the symptoms.

This is fixed in the very latest postgresql and selinux-policy-targeted
RPMs (u need both), but the path of least resistance is often to dial
SELinux down to permissive mode (sudo /usr/sbin/setenforce 0) for long
enough to do the initdb.

If you're running SELinux in strict rather than targeted policy, good
luck ... I honestly haven't tried that one at all ...