Re: Speed up transaction completion faster after many relations are accessed in a transaction

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: David Rowley <david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "Tsunakawa, Takayuki" <tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Speed up transaction completion faster after many relations are accessed in a transaction
Date: 2019-02-19 00:01:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Isn't a large portion of benefits in this patch going to be mooted by
> the locking improvements discussed in the other threads? I.e. there's
> hopefully not going to be a ton of cases with low overhead where we
> acquire a lot of locks and release them very soon after. Sure, for DDL
> etc we will, but I can't see this mattering from a performance POV?

Mmm ... AIUI, the patches currently proposed can only help for what
David called "point lookup" queries. There are still going to be
queries that scan a large proportion of a partition tree, so if you've
got tons of partitions, you'll be concerned about this sort of thing.

> I'm not against doing something like Tom proposes, but heuristics with
> magic constants like this tend to age purely / are hard to tune well
> across systems.

I didn't say it had to be a constant ...