Re: Time to finalize patches for 8.4 beta

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Time to finalize patches for 8.4 beta
Date: 2009-01-05 18:18:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, 2009-01-03 at 22:34 -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> o Recovery, Replication, Hot Standby: We need a _final_ version
> of any patches that are targeted for 8.4. There is so much activity in
> this area I am unclear what is ready for 8.4.

What do we mean by _final_? This a serious, polite question.

Hot Standby hasn't had any serious code review yet by anybody, AFAIK.

Hot Standby is not a "WIP" patch. >96-8% of the patch is identical to
the way it was on Nov 1: ready for some review comments and
testing/usability feedback. The later a review happens the less time we
have to change anything within the patch in response to comments. If
anybody is deliberately holding back on review, they need to talk to me,
directly, soon.

The main problem seems to be that all qualified developers are allocated
elsewhere, or working on their own patches.

If we want this in 8.4, then other developers or companies need to
allocate some time to assist with its inclusion. All help greatly
appreciated.

--
Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com