Re: force re-planning of prepared statements?

From: "V S P" <toreason(at)fastmail(dot)fm>
To: pgdba(at)hush(dot)com, pgsql-php(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: force re-planning of prepared statements?
Date: 2008-12-30 00:47:10
Lists: pgsql-php

Hi,
I do not have an answer for you

but, it is my understanding that
a) PHP drops the DB connection for every HTTP request
and then creates a new one (unless a proxy is used)
That means that prepare statement has a perfromance benefit
if the same SQL is used more than once per session

b) if prepare by itself takes long, than may be analyzing
tables/updating
statistics/vaccuming at least the tables involved in the query might
help

c) if b) does not help -- personally I would think that the problem
is somewhere outside the 'prepare' call (unless there is a PG bug in
that
functionality on that version of the server)