Re: [SPAM] Re: GIT mirror not updating

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org, Daniel Farina <drfarina(at)acm(dot)org>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [SPAM] Re: GIT mirror not updating
Date: 2008-12-29 19:33:28
Lists: pgsql-www

On Mon, 2008-12-29 at 11:31 -0800, Jeff Davis wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-12-29 at 20:05 +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > On Monday 29 December 2008 19:09:23 Daniel Farina wrote:
> > > One interesting exercise would be to run git with cvsserver and try
> > > porting commits via script from Postgres CVS to git cvsserver.
> >
> > But to do that you would be back at cvsps to extract the actual commits from
> > the CVS repository, which is a major part of the current problem in the first
> > place. And by the time you're done, you'd likely have re-implemented
> > git-cvsimport with an extra level of indirection.
>
> How well does CVS -> SVN work? Maybe we could do CVS -> SVN -> Git.
>
> CommandPrompt's SVN repo seems like it's in good shape (has tags, etc.),
> so maybe this is possible?

CVS to SVN is easy and accurate but slow. There is a bug in our
transformation script (which has nothing to do with the cvs-svn part)
but that is why ours is out of date.

I have been meaning to look at tailor to see if it is possible to
convert single commits. Right now, we have to transform the entire repo
everytime we run.

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL