Re: Irreversible performance drop after increasing shared mem

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
Cc: jake johnson <jake(at)omnimode(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Irreversible performance drop after increasing shared mem
Date: 2004-02-29 03:30:12
Lists: pgsql-general

> After you changed the conf file, did you restart the postmaster? Not
> just reload, since that won't affect existing sessions I beleive.

SIGHUP will cause existing sessions to adopt a new value of sort_mem
from the config file (unless it's been locally overridden, eg with SET).

However, shared_buffers can only be set at postmaster start, so changing
it in the config file will affect nothing unless you stop and restart
the postmaster.