Re: [Q] storing JSON, problem with 'escapes'

From: "V S P" <toreason(at)fastmail(dot)fm>
To: "Andrew McMillan" <andrew(at)morphoss(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-php(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [Q] storing JSON, problem with 'escapes'
Date: 2008-11-21 21:18:51
Lists: pgsql-php

Hi Andrew

that's the thing: when I construct my SQL nowhere do I have
double-backslashes -- I only have one backslash (generated by
PHP json_encode to escape the doublequote)

So I never have
> INSERT INTO blah ( json_column )
> VALUES ( 'VLADIKVLADIKVLADIKVLADIK(\\"b2122\\")' )

I do see it however when logging SQL statements from within PG. So my
thought now is that it is PDO that's doing it
(PDO documentation states that it is doing its own escaping
for all the drivers)

However, I followed your advice and
set standard_conforming_strings to 'On'

Now, without modifying a single line of my PHP code
a) the warnings are gone
b) Postgresql shows only single backslash (which is how I am sending
it).

So now, I am more confused, as I do not know what was putting
the second backslash -- may be it was postgresql?

But it works... I think and the behaviour is now how I am expecting it:
the JSON strings are stored exactly as they are coming out
of PHP's json_encode (with single backslash in front of a doublequote)

thank you

--
V S P
toreason(at)fastmail(dot)fm