Re: Hot Standby (commit fest version - v5)

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Pavan Deolasee <pavan(dot)deolasee(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Hot Standby (commit fest version - v5)
Date: 2008-11-20 14:20:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 2008-11-20 at 12:03 +0530, Pavan Deolasee wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 1, 2008 at 10:02 PM, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
> wrote:
> Hot Standby patch, including all major planned features.
>

> While experimenting with the patch, I noticed that sometimes the
> archiver process indefinitely waits for WALInsertLock. I haven't spent
> much time debugging that, but the following chunk clearly seems to be
> buggy. The WALInsertLock is not released if (leavingArchiveRecovery ==
> true).

Mmmm, it seems this is correct. I had to reconstruct this section of
code after recent bitrot, so it looks I introduced a bug doing that.
What I'm surprised about is that I got a similar hang myself in testing
and in my notes I have this ticked as resolved.

The fix is trivial, though I'm sorry it was there for you to find at
all.

(I assume you mean bgwriter, not archiver process).

--
Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com