Re: String changes

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Dennis Björklund <db(at)zigo(dot)dhs(dot)org>
Cc: Patrick Welche <prlw1(at)newn(dot)cam(dot)ac(dot)uk>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: String changes
Date: 2003-03-08 22:09:17
Lists: pgsql-patches

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Dennis_Bj=F6rklund?= <db(at)zigo(dot)dhs(dot)org> writes:
> On Sat, 8 Mar 2003, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Yeah, but making those printfs different from the others is a recipe
>> for future mistakes. I thought that proposed patch was useless
>> micro-optimization, too.

> The reason to remove it is to help the translators.

It would only help if you were to find and nuke every single instance of
gettext("\n"), and make sure that no new ones get introduced. I think
that adds more current and future work than the translators are likely
to save. And no, I don't believe that translators will expend great
effort on translating it ;-)