Re: plpgsql - DECLARE - cannot to use %TYPE or %ROWTYPE for composite types

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Artur Zakirov <a(dot)zakirov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)bluetreble(dot)com>
Subject: Re: plpgsql - DECLARE - cannot to use %TYPE or %ROWTYPE for composite types
Date: 2016-03-14 19:38:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Mon, Mar 14, 2016 at 12:04 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> Or in short: maybe it's time to blow up %TYPE and start fresh.

> That's not a dumb idea. I think %TYPE is an Oracle-ism, and it
> doesn't seem to have been their best-ever design decision.

It is, and it wasn't. What concerns me about the present patch is
that it's trying to shoehorn more functionality into something that
was badly designed to start with. I think we'd be better off leaving
%TYPE as a deprecated backwards-compatibility feature and inventing
something new and more extensible.

I'm not wedded to any part of the syntax I just wrote, but I do say
that we need something that allows composability of type selectors.