Re: [WIP] In-place upgrade

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: "Matthew T(dot) O'Connor" <matthew(at)zeut(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Decibel! <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>, Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)sun(dot)com>, Greg Stark <greg(dot)stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [WIP] In-place upgrade
Date: 2008-11-10 18:16:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, 2008-11-10 at 09:14 -0500, Matthew T. O'Connor wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
> > Decibel! <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org> writes:
> >
> >> I think that's pretty seriously un-desirable. It's not at all
> >> uncommon for databases to stick around for a very long time and then
> >> jump ahead many versions. I don't think we want to tell people they
> >> can't do that.
> >>

> > Of course they can do that --- they just have to do it one version at a
> > time.
>
> Also, people may be less likely to stick with an old outdated version
> for years and years if the upgrade process is easier.

Kind of OT but, I don't agree with this. There will always be those who
are willing to just upgrade because they can but the smart play is to
upgrade because you need to. If anything in place upgrades is just going
to remove the last real business and technical barrier to using
postgresql for enterprises.

Joshua D. Drake