Re: pg_migrator issue with contrib

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Brad Nicholson <bnichols(at)ca(dot)afilias(dot)info>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_migrator issue with contrib
Date: 2009-06-08 14:04:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> As long as PostGIS is the same version in both of them, is pg_migrator
> is likely to work? (one can always run the PostGIS upgrade as a separate
> step)

There was just some discussion about that on postgis-devel. I think the
conclusion was that you would have to do the PostGIS update as a
separate step. They intend to support both 1.3.x and 1.4.x on current
versions of Postgres for some time, so in principle you could do it in
either order.

>> Could pg_migrator detect usage of "objects" oids (data types in
>> relation, index opclass, ...) that are unknown to be in the standard
>> -core + contrib distribution, and quit trying to upgrade the cluster in
>> this case, telling the user his database is not supported?

> +1 on this.

> Or at least, have it exit and say "if you know that these things are
> reasonably safe, run pg_migrator again with --force" or something like that.

I don't think that anything in that line is going to be helpful.
What it will lead to is people mindlessly using --force (cf our
bad experiences with -i for pg_dump). If you can't give a *useful*
ie trustworthy warning/error, issuing a useless one is not a good
substitute.