Re: pg_stop_backup wait bug fix

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_stop_backup wait bug fix
Date: 2008-11-08 10:22:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, 2008-11-07 at 18:32 -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Simon Riggs wrote:
> > Minor bug fix for pg_stop_backup() to prevent it waiting longer than
> > necessary in certain circumstances.
>
> As far as I can tell, this patch needs to be applied to HEAD, 8.3 and
> 8.2 (when xlog switch was implemented), and in fact it applies cleanly
> to them. Please confirm.

There are other patches that we should consider along with this one.

This particular patch only has meaning when applied with the changes to
pg_stop_backup() earlier in 8.4dev cycle. It isn't a bug in xlog switch,
it is a bug in how the new waiting code interprets the return value from
xlog switch.

--
Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com