Re: Re: Hot standby v5 patch - Databases created post backup remain inaccessible + replica SIGSEGV when coming out of standby

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Mark Kirkwood <markir(at)paradise(dot)net(dot)nz>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re: Hot standby v5 patch - Databases created post backup remain inaccessible + replica SIGSEGV when coming out of standby
Date: 2008-11-05 13:25:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 2008-11-04 at 09:52 +0000, Simon Riggs wrote:

> > postgres=# \c bench
> > FATAL: database "bench" does not exist
> > Previous connection kept
>
> CREATE DATABASE didn't trigger the db flat file update, code for which
> existed and was triggered in the cases when a transaction would normally
> rebuild the flat files. Simple fix, but stupid oversight.

Issue resolved.

> Spotted another problem which is that BuildFlatFile may not be built
> consistently if a rebuild is triggered prior to us reaching the recovery
> consistency point. This is fixed by forcing a rebuild of the flat files
> when we hit the recovery point.

Issue resolved.

> Both one line changes, but I'll go looking for other issues there.

I also mentioned previously that I hadn't implemented locking yet during
flat file updates. After spending longer looking at the code around this
I no longer think it is required.

These changes will be rolled into the next patch version, soon.

--
Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com