Re: PostgreSQL + Replicator developer meeting 10/28

From: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Joshua Drake <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL + Replicator developer meeting 10/28
Date: 2008-10-28 17:46:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, 2008-10-27 at 13:42 -0700, Joshua Drake wrote:
> With the recent open sourcing of Replicator, the team has been trying
> to come up with ways to ensure an open development process. In that
> light we have decided to have our first release 1.9 meeting on
> Freenode. All people interested in participating in a discussion about
> the upcoming Replicator 1.9 are welcome to attend.

I missed the meeting at #replicator, but still have some questions

* Is there a mailing list for replicator ?

> The current topics are:
>
> * New MCP architecture

What's new ?

I have some doubts about the current architecture based on my reading of
replicator wiki, but would like to learn about the "new" architecture
before spending too much time in studying the "old" one.

> * DDL Replication

Is it there alread, or is it just a planned feature ?

> * Release timeline
> * Questions

* How hard would it be to extract DDL replication part and use it as
basis for DDL after trigger support for use in trigger based
replication/auditing like Slony ann pgQ/Londiste ?

* special DDL triggers capturing DDL statement source could also
be an alternative to full DDL triggers.

> Replicator is set to be a short cycle release, hopefully landing before
> PostgreSQL 8.4. It will support PostgreSQL 8.3 and PostgreSQL 8.4 (when
> 8.4 is available). We will be meeting in the #replicator channel at
> 10:00 AM PDT...

Hannu