Re: For each key, find row with highest value of other field

From: Mark Roberts <mailing_lists(at)pandapocket(dot)com>
To: raju(at)linux-delhi(dot)org
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: For each key, find row with highest value of other field
Date: 2008-10-03 19:57:19
Lists: pgsql-sql

select distinct on (Key) Key, Date, Value
from <<table name>>
order by Key, Date desc

MYDATABASE=> create table aaa (key varchar(1), date date, value text);
CREATE TABLE
Time: 1518.002 ms
MYDATABASE=> insert into aaa (key, date, value) values ('A',
'2008-05-01', 'foo');
INSERT 0 1
Time: 1.125 ms
MYDATABASE=> insert into aaa (key, date, value) values ('A',
'2008-04-01', 'bar');
INSERT 0 1
Time: 0.290 ms
MYDATABASE=> insert into aaa (key, date, value) values ('A',
'2008-03-01', 'foo');
INSERT 0 1
Time: 0.310 ms
MYDATABASE=> insert into aaa (key, date, value) values ('B',
'2008-03-01', 'baz');
INSERT 0 1
Time: 0.304 ms
MYDATABASE=> insert into aaa (key, date, value) values ('B',
'2008-02-01', 'bar');
INSERT 0 1
Time: 0.330 ms
MYDATABASE=> insert into aaa (key, date, value) values ('C',
'2008-06-03', 'foo');
INSERT 0 1
Time: 0.298 ms
MYDATABASE=> insert into aaa (key, date, value) values ('C',
'2008-04-04', 'baz');
INSERT 0 1
Time: 0.295 ms
MYDATABASE=> insert into aaa (key, date, value) values ('C',
'2008-03-04', 'bar');
INSERT 0 1
Time: 0.319 ms
MYDATABASE=> commit;
COMMIT
Time: 569.591 ms
MYDATABASE=> select * from aaa;
key | date | value
-----+------------+-------
A | 2008-05-01 | foo
A | 2008-04-01 | bar
A | 2008-03-01 | foo
B | 2008-03-01 | baz
B | 2008-02-01 | bar
C | 2008-06-03 | foo
C | 2008-04-04 | baz
C | 2008-03-04 | bar
(8 rows)

Time: 0.520 ms
MYDATABASE=> select distinct on (key) key, date, value from aaa order by
key, date desc;
key | date | value
A | 2008-05-01 | foo
B | 2008-03-01 | baz