Re: SR standby hangs

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <amdunstan(at)nc(dot)rr(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: SR standby hangs
Date: 2011-02-22 16:34:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 12:55 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> A little OT, but ISTM that the buffer pin mechanism by its nature is
>> prone to lock upgrade hazards.

> Except that pins don't block exclusive locks so there's no deadlock risk.

> The oddity here is on Vacuums super-exclusive "lock" which is the real
> equivalent of an "exclusive lock". However there's the added bonus
> that there can only be one vacuum on a table at a time. That makes it
> safe

We have seen deadlocks arising from this type of scenario:

autovac has vacuum lock on table X
autovac blocks waiting for cleanup lock on buffer B in X
process P has pin on B due to a suspended query (eg cursor)
P tries to get exclusive lock on X, is blocked by autovac's lock

The heavyweight-lock manager fails to recognize deadlock because it
doesn't know about the buffer-level LWLock.

> It might be interesting to have autovacuum skip a block it finds
> pinned for too long.

+1, although as somebody pointed out nearby, this will only be legal if
it's not a vacuum-to-prevent-wraparound situation.

> Incidentally, even if we allowed multiple vacuum processes per table I
> think it could be coded to be safe as long as each vacuum only needs
> to acquire the super exclusive lock on a single block at a time and
> doesn't try to acquire other locks while holding it.

IIRC, it's cleaning the indexes that is problematic.