Re: logical column position

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
Cc: Rod Taylor <pg(at)rbt(dot)ca>, Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>, Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>, Jon Jensen <jon(at)endpoint(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: logical column position
Date: 2003-11-21 15:10:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de> writes:
> I don't quite understand your argumentation.

My point is that to change attnum into a logical position without
breaking client apps (which is the ostensible reason for doing it
that way), we would need to redefine all system catalog entries that
reference columns by attnum so that they also store logical rather than
physical position. That has a number of serious problems, one big one
being the difficulty of updating them all correctly during a column
renumbering operation. More, it turns what would otherwise be a
relatively localized patch into a massive and bug-prone backend
modification.

I think it is better to consider attnum as sort of a mini-OID: any one
column has a uniquely assigned attnum that will never change and can
be relied on to identify that column. This is essentially how it is
being used now (remember attnum is part of the PK for pg_attribute)
and the fact that it is also the physical position is really rather
incidental as far as the system catalogs are concerned.

You're quite right that attnum is serving three purposes, but that
doesn't mean that we can choose at random which purpose(s) to decouple.
Abandoning the assumption that attnum is a permanent identifier would
break a lot of things --- probably not only in the backend, either.