Re: Toasted table not deleted when no out of line columns left

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Hans-Jürgen Schönig <hs(at)cybertec(dot)at>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Zoltan Boszormenyi <zb(at)cybertec(dot)at>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Toasted table not deleted when no out of line columns left
Date: 2008-09-22 09:28:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, 2008-09-22 at 10:59 +0200, Hans-Jürgen Schönig wrote:
> On Sep 22, 2008, at 9:46 AM, Simon Riggs wrote:

> > I thought Hans meant cleanup, not drop?

> we definitely have to do something about this problem.

I think the issue is identifying the problem. Reading the title of the
post, I think Tom says "no" to *deleting* the toast table. He also says
"no" to cleaning the table as part of DROP COLUMN. That still leaves you
an opening for an out-of-line command/function to perform a clean,
without deleting the table completely.

--
Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com