Re: Transaction Snapshots and Hot Standby

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Transaction Snapshots and Hot Standby
Date: 2008-09-11 10:04:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 2008-09-11 at 09:24 +0300, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> Simon Riggs wrote:
> > Taking snapshots from primary has a few disadvantages

> > * snapshots on primary prevent row removal (but this was also an
> > advantage of this technique!)
>
> That makes it an awful solution for high availability.

Please be careful about making such statements. People might think you
were opposing the whole idea of Hot Standby, rather than giving an
opinion about one suggestion out of many implementation proposals.

Looks like you've got some good additional suggestions later in the
post. I'll reply later to those, so thanks for that.

--
Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com