external query VS user function

From: Joao Ferreira gmail <joao(dot)miguel(dot)c(dot)ferreira(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: external query VS user function
Date: 2008-09-11 09:38:58
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello all,

I'm trying to optimize the execution of a query which deletes a big
amount of records based on time

I need to remove from 100.000 to 1.000.000 records from my table once a
day, and I'dd like to make that removal as fast as possible. This is the
idea:

DELETE FROM tt WHERE time < $1;

Would it be considerably faster if I declare that query inside a user
function, let's say function_delete(integer), and invoque it instead

SELECT function_delete($max_time);

Would this second approach be faster ? I imagine there could be some
internal mechanism that would allow pg to have that query pre-optimized
somehow ?

thanks for the feedback.

Joao

[[[ I've been looking at Partitioning, but it seems to be a quite
intrusive setup if you already have your system up and running]]]