Re: Dump/Restore compatibility

From: Steve T <steve(at)retsol(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostGreSQL <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Dump/Restore compatibility
Date: 2008-09-10 16:43:55
Lists: pgsql-novice

Tom,
If it works once, would I be safe in thinking that it would then always
work - unless obviously any new 'feature' was then used? The databases
currently use procedures, triggers, blobs and standard tables. The
database is effectively an 8.0 database being moved to 8.1 with the
backups being put back on an older box supporting 8.0 again. No new
features are being used in 8.1 as the features being used were all
present and working in 8.0.

So I current have two Fedora Core servers acting as live/backup. Both
are running 8.0.
I am being coerced into using RHEL and so have got another box to act as
the 'new' live server - which leads me to also use 8.1 as the shipped
offering. I didn't want to change all the boxes at the same time - as
that is too much of a risk - so I simply wanted to install the new
server running 8.1 and keep the same 8.0 backup until I can then convert
the 'old' live server to RHEL and promote that to the backup.