Re: Columns correlation and adaptive query optimization

From: Konstantin Knizhnik <k(dot)knizhnik(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
To: Yugo NAGATA <nagata(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: Rafia Sabih <rafia(dot)pghackers(at)gmail(dot)com>, David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Columns correlation and adaptive query optimization
Date: 2021-01-27 16:39:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 27.01.2021 8:45, Yugo NAGATA wrote:
> [...]
> + attributes. Zero value (default) disables implicit creation of multicolumn statistic.
> + </para>
> + </listitem>
>
> I wonder we need to say that this parameter has no effect unless log_analyze
> is enabled and that statistics are created only when the excution time exceeds
> log_min_duration, if these behaviors are intentional.
>
> In addition, additional statistics are created only if #rows is over-estimated
> and not if it is under-estimated. Although it seems good as a criterion for creating
> multicolumn statistic since extended statisstic is usually useful to fix over-estimation,
> I am not sure if we don't have to consider under-estimation case at all.
>

>>> (9)
>>> Currently, it only consider functional dependencies statistics. Can we also
>>> consider multivariate MCV list, and is it useful?
>>
>> Right now auto_explain create statistic without explicit specification
>> of statistic kind.
>> According to the documentation all supported statistics kinds should be
>> created in this case:
> Yes, auto_explain creates all kinds of extended statistics. However,
> IIUC, the clausesel patch uses only functional dependencies statistics for
> improving join, so my question was about possibility to consider MCV in the
> clausesel patch.
>
>>> (10)
>>> To achieve adaptive query optimization (AQO) in PostgreSQL, this patch proposes
>>> to use auto_explain for getting feedback from actual results. So, could auto_explain
>>> be a infrastructure of AQO in future? Or, do you have any plan or idea to make
>>> built-in infrastructure for AQO?
>> Sorry, I do not have answer for this question.
>> I just patched auto_explain extension because it is doing  half of the
>> required work (analyze  expensive statements).
>> It can be certainly moved to separate extension. In this case it will
>> party duplicate existed functionality and
>> settings of auto_explain (like statement execution time threshold). I am
>> not sure that it is good.
>> But from the other side, this my patch makes auto_explain extension to
>> do some unexpected work...
> I think that auto_explain is an extension originally for aiming to detect
> and log plans that take a long time, so it doesn't seem so unnatural for
> me to use this for improving such plans. Especially, the feature to find
> tunable points in executed plans seems useful.
>
>> Actually task of adaptive query optimization is much bigger.
>> We have separate AQO extension which tries to use machine learning to
>> correctly adjust estimations.
>> This my patch is much simpler and use existed mechanism (extended
>> statistics) to improve estimations.
> Well, this patch provide a kind of AQO as auto_explain feature, but this
> is independent of the AQO extension. Is it right?
> Anyway, I'm interested in the AQO extension, so I'll look into this, too.

I have updated documentation as you suggested and submit patch for
auto_explain extension for the next commitfest.
I will create separate  thread for improving join selectivity estimation
using extended statistics.

> Well, this patch provide a kind of AQO as auto_explain feature, but this
> is independent of the AQO extension. Is it right?
Yes. The basic idea is the same, but approaches are different.

--
Konstantin Knizhnik
The Russian Postgres Company

Attachment Content-Type Size
auto_explain_create_statistic-8.patch text/x-patch 14.0 KB