Re: BUG #5660: Can't start db service if specify effective_io_concurrency

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Mikio" <tkbysh2000(at)yahoo(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #5660: Can't start db service if specify effective_io_concurrency
Date: 2010-09-16 14:36:19
Lists: pgsql-bugs

"Mikio" <tkbysh2000(at)yahoo(dot)co(dot)jp> writes:
> I'm using postgresql 9.0 rc1, and I specified 10 for
> effective_io_concurrency in postgresql.conf.
> I restarted postgresql windows service, but the service didn't start.

This is unsurprising: you can only set effective_io_concurrency on
platforms that have posix_fadvise(), which I rather doubt Windows does.

> I looked windows event viewer, I found an event from PostgreSQL, and it was
> below.(The characters in the message were broken.)

>> FATAL: p[^"effective_io_concurrency"X

Hm, what I get when I try that on a machine without posix_fadvise()
is

FATAL: parameter "effective_io_concurrency" cannot be changed

I think you have some other configuration problem that's messing up
your log entries.