Re: pruning disabled for array, enum, record, range type partition keys

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pruning disabled for array, enum, record, range type partition keys
Date: 2018-04-09 14:22:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp> writes:
> I noticed that the newly added pruning does not work if the partition key
> is of one of the types that have a corresponding pseudo-type.

While I don't recall the details due to acute caffeine shortage,
there are specific coding patterns that are used in the planner
(e.g. in indxpath.c) to ensure that the code works with pseudotype
opclasses as well as simple ones. The existence of this bug
indicates that those conventions were not followed in the pruning
code. I wonder whether this patch makes the pruning code look
more like the pre-existing code, or even less like it.