Re: Adding WHERE clause to pg_dump

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Adding WHERE clause to pg_dump
Date: 2008-07-25 18:33:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > Attached patch implements WHERE clauses for pg_dump.
>
> I still have serious reservations about adding such an ugly,
> non-orthogonal wart to pg_dump. Why is it not appropriate to just
> do a COPY (SELECT ...) TO STDOUT when you need this?

So you can dump a coherent sample database in one command, not 207.

Every user of PostgreSQL wants a dev/test database. If the database is
large it isn't practical to take a complete copy. Nor is it practical to
hand-write a data sampling extraction program and if you do, its usually
imperfect in many ways.

Adding this feature gives a very fast capability to create sample
databases, or incremental backups for many cases.

--
Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com