Re: Uncopied parameters on CREATE TABLE LIKE

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: ITAGAKI Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Uncopied parameters on CREATE TABLE LIKE
Date: 2008-07-24 15:11:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > I would prefer it if you had a plan to introduce user definable
> > parameters, similar to custom_variable_classes. Perhaps call this
> > "custom_table_options". So when we load a table and it has an option we
> > don't recognise we ignore it if it is one of the customer_table_options.
>
> > custom_table_options will help us define special behaviours for
> > datatypes, indexes, replication etc that relate to the specific role and
> > purpose of individual tables.
>
> GUC parameters that silently alter the semantics of SQL statements
> should be introduced only with great trepidation, not just because
> someone thought them up one day.

I agree. I don't really want to alter semantics.

> What is the real use-case for
> this bit of complication?

Reloptions are additional performance options.

> Given the very short list of supported
> reloptions right now, why would you imagine that there will ever
> be such a thing as installation-local reloptions?

There's a ton of ways to introduce installation-local code, and we
support custom_variable_classes to support that. We just need some
additional flexibility at object level also.

It's already possible via comments, so why not make it official?

--
Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com