Re: Uncopied parameters on CREATE TABLE LIKE

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: ITAGAKI Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Uncopied parameters on CREATE TABLE LIKE
Date: 2008-07-24 12:33:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 2008-07-24 at 19:09 +0900, ITAGAKI Takahiro wrote:
> CREATE TABLE LIKE is useful to create a new partition from a template
> table. We can use 3 options (INCLUDING DEFAULTS, CONSTRAINTS and INDEXES)
> to copy more parameters from the template, but there are still some
> uncopied parameters:
>
> 1. column storage parameters (toast options)
> 2. reloptions on table (on index is copied already)

Sounds good

> 3. comments

Not sure about that. If comments are just user text, then probably not.
I'm guessing you might want that for something else?

I would prefer it if you had a plan to introduce user definable
parameters, similar to custom_variable_classes. Perhaps call this
"custom_table_options". So when we load a table and it has an option we
don't recognise we ignore it if it is one of the customer_table_options.

custom_table_options will help us define special behaviours for
datatypes, indexes, replication etc that relate to the specific role and
purpose of individual tables.

--
Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com