Plans for 8.4

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Plans for 8.4
Date: 2008-07-22 15:35:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I'm looking at shortlisting things that I'll be working on for 8.4. I've
thrown out a few small patches I had, but now am looking at these
projects:

* Hot Standby
* Logical replication via transaction log
* Integration with synchronous replication

* Join removal
* stats hooks
* DDL locking reductions

Initial design work on them is mostly done, just need to start posting
designs and patches. I've got a early days prototype of Hot Standby that
allows connection, plus months of thinking on the other topics, so I'm
further ahead than it may previously have appeared. All of this is
dependent upon sponsorship... THANK YOU to current sponsors.

I've had to break off work on MERGE now. For lack of time, plus the
presence of some unresolved details in the design that make it
questionable whether it would be fully accepted.

I've also punted on a few other items that look like more time than
value to the project, in my opinion. But it might be possible to pick up
later, depending what happens in next few months.

--
Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com