Re: Assert failure found in 8.1RC1

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Creager <Robert(dot)Creager(at)Sun(dot)com>
Cc: PGHackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Assert failure found in 8.1RC1
Date: 2005-11-02 23:45:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Robert Creager <Robert(dot)Creager(at)Sun(dot)com> writes:
> Ran with both for an hour with no problem, where I could produce the ASSERT
> failure within minutes for the non patched version.

Great. I'll go ahead and commit the smaller fix into HEAD and the back
branches, and hold the larger fix for 8.2.

It's curious that two different people stumbled across this just
recently, when the bug has been there since 7.2. I suppose that the
addition of pg_subtrans increased the probability of seeing the bug by
a considerable amount, but I'm still surprised it wasn't identified
before. At the very least, we should have heard about it earlier in
the 8.0 release cycle ...