Re: [WIP] patch - Collation at database level

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [WIP] patch - Collation at database level
Date: 2008-07-08 18:08:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Andrew, Tom,
>> Agreed. Are we even sure that we want per-database collations as a
>> half-way house? Unless we can be sure that we want all the required
>> catalog changes for the full requirement, it seems to me a rather messy
>> way of getting to where we want to go.

> Given that we don't have a delivery date for table or column level collations,
> we don't want to turn down database-level collations.

I am one hundred percent prepared to turn them down, if they end up
contorting the design in a way that we will have to undo (with
consequent backwards-compatibility problems) to get to the full feature.

If it's a partial implementation of the full feature, that's fine, but
I'm not getting good vibes about that from the discussions so far.