Re: [HACKERS] INSTALL/install.sgml file

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, PostgreSQL-documentation <docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] INSTALL/install.sgml file
Date: 2000-06-05 15:37:43
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-hackers

> In looking at the INSTALL/install.sgml files, I see that there are no
> instructions for removing the /data directory after the backup, so
> initdb will succeed. Should that be suggested after the backup is
> performed? If not, initdb will fail. Also, I have to add something to
> the initdb step to tell 7.* users they don't need initdb.

What? It says "move the old directories out of the way" at the bottom
of step 6.

Possibly that should be promoted into a whole separate step, rather than
being just an afterthought to killing the postmaster.

This step and step 11 should also mention pg_upgrade as a possible
alternative to doing a full reload. (But encourage people to make
the backup anyway ;-).)