Re: PgUS bylaws

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Reece Hart <reece(at)harts(dot)net>
Cc: Selena Deckelmann <selenamarie(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgus-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PgUS bylaws
Date: 2008-06-10 15:34:06
Lists: pgus-general

On Fri, 2008-06-06 at 11:10 -0700, Reece Hart wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-05-28 at 08:50 -0700, Selena Deckelmann wrote:
> > We're closing the comment window in about 1 week so that we can
> > submit
> > these to the IRS and get our 501(c)3 before October.

> I had two goals: 1) to broaden the scope to include "related projects"
> since that's an important part of the ecosystem (e.g., PostGIS); 2) to

Postgis is definitely an important part of the ecosystem :) but I am not
sure this change is needed (and have posed the question to the
attorney). The reason is, when it all comes down to nuts and bolts,
Postgis is just a PostgreSQL extension. Thus it would automatically be
included as valid.

Similarly, even with something like Drupal, if someone were to say, "I
would like to do X with Drupal based around PostgreSQL" we could help
support that as well. Even though, Drupal is not a PostgreSQL project it
is helping PostgreSQL.

> address some slightly awkward wording (e.g., one can't "educate the
> creation, development, or use" of PostgreSQL).

No but:

The primary purposes of the Corporation shall be to Educate, promote
and support the creation, development and use of the PostgreSQL Open
Source Database software, a software system which is available to the
general public without charge;

I know it seems like odd wording when you take the fragment but it isn't
nearly so when you take the entire context.

We appreciate your feedback, thanks!

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake