Re: Live CDs for upcoming shows

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Live CDs for upcoming shows
Date: 2008-06-03 22:03:34
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

> Josh,
>
> > Another option would be to get preloaded pen drives. They are more
> > expensive but certainly more interesting, usable and durable.
>
> Aren't these around $10 each, though?

No, I am finding them for less than that, all the way down to 5.00 bucks
a piece. Yes it is much more than a CD, but a CD is a throw away item. A
pen drive has actual long term use.

But let's take the high number, 10.00.

Assuming we order 250, that is ~ 2500.00 (shipping etc..). The item is
then reusable for years... with a little blue elephant and URL. It also
becomes a talking piece, "What's that on your pen drive?". Versus a CD
which will likely be loaded once (if we are lucky) and then thrown away.

On the cursory review of companies that do this I am seeing prices for a
128MB model for anywhere from 6.50 to 4.60. The real question will be
what does it cost to pre-load it. Let me see if I can get some better
numbers for that. However even if it cost 2.00 to pre-load it (which I
highly doubt) we are still talking about a resuable item.

And of course, it can be used to drive donations :)

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake