Re: psql error

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Gtrica" <gtricarico(at)intin(dot)it>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: psql error
Date: 2002-02-22 00:30:11
Lists: pgsql-admin

"Gtrica" <gtricarico(at)intin(dot)it> writes:
> I'm new with postgress datbase..
> I have started correctly postmaster, I created a database "primo" ...
> Now when I try to start "psql primo" I receive the following error
> "psql : FATAL 1: cannot create init file
> .//base/primo/pg_internal.init.1179"

It looks to me like you tried to start the postmaster with a relative
PGDATA path (something like "postmaster -D ."). Try an absolute
path instead.

(IIRC, PG 7.1 and later will accept a relative path, but earlier versions
don't cope. If you are indeed running something older than 7.1, it's
definitely a good idea to update.)