Specifying xlog directory during initdb is failing

From: Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim(at)CommandPrompt(dot)com>
To: pgsql-bugs <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Specifying xlog directory during initdb is failing
Date: 2008-06-01 21:48:18
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Hi,

I was testing -X option, and I cannot make it work. This is PostgreSQL
8.3.1 on Fedora 9:

-bash-3.2$ initdb -d -X xlog/ -D data/
Running in debug mode.
VERSION=8.3.1
PGDATA=data
share_path=/usr/share/pgsql
PGPATH=/usr/bin
POSTGRES_SUPERUSERNAME=postgres
POSTGRES_BKI=/usr/share/pgsql/postgres.bki
POSTGRES_DESCR=/usr/share/pgsql/postgres.description
POSTGRES_SHDESCR=/usr/share/pgsql/postgres.shdescription
POSTGRESQL_CONF_SAMPLE=/usr/share/pgsql/postgresql.conf.sample
PG_HBA_SAMPLE=/usr/share/pgsql/pg_hba.conf.sample
PG_IDENT_SAMPLE=/usr/share/pgsql/pg_ident.conf.sample
The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user "postgres".

The database cluster will be initialized with locale en_US.UTF-8.
The default database encoding has accordingly been set to UTF8.
The default text search configuration will be set to "english".

creating directory data ... ok
creating directory xlog/ ... ok
creating subdirectories ... initdb: could not create directory "data/pg_xlog": File exists
initdb: removing data directory "data"
initdb: removing transaction log directory "xlog"

Am I missing something here? If not, this is a bug I believe.

Regards,
--
Devrim GÜNDÜZ , RHCE