Re: intercepting WAL writes

From: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
To: Mike <mike(at)fonolo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: intercepting WAL writes
Date: 2008-05-29 00:25:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 2008-05-28 at 19:11 -0400, Mike wrote:
> Can somebody point to the most logical place in the code to intercept
> the WAL writes? (just a rough direction would be enough)- or if this
> doesn’t make sense at all, another suggestion on where to get the
> data? (I’m trying to avoid doing it using triggers).

Why are you avoiding triggers? One solution might be to use Slony to
just create the log, and then read the log of events into memcached
rather than another PostgreSQL instance.

http://slony.info/documentation/logshipping.html

Those logs might be easier to process than the WAL.

Also, why do you need to intercept the WAL writes, and not just read
from a WAL archive? Does this need to be synchronous?

Regards,
Jeff Davis