Re: Proposal: temporal extension "period" data type

From: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
To: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)krosing(dot)net>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Proposal: temporal extension "period" data type
Date: 2008-05-26 18:49:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, 2008-05-26 at 21:10 +0300, Hannu Krosing wrote:
> Either overlaps or contains seem valid join operators

"Overlaps" is the join operator as defined in [1]. In the case where you
have a temporal FK, they are the same. But yes, either is useful.

> Will there be UNIQUE (non-overlapping) indexes for period ?

I discussed this with several people and I believe this is possible with
some modifications to GiST. I will be discussing it further and I will
try to put together a proposal.

Regards,
Jeff Davis

1. _Temporal Data and the Relational Model_, C.J. Date, Hugh Darwen,
Nikos A. Lorentzos, p. 149.