Re: Join runs for > 10 hours and then fills up >1.3TB of disk space

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: kevin kempter <kevin(at)kevinkempterllc(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Join runs for > 10 hours and then fills up >1.3TB of disk space
Date: 2008-05-16 07:38:30
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Fri, 2008-05-16 at 00:31 -0600, kevin kempter wrote:

> I'm running the join shown below and it takes > 10 hours and
> eventually runs out of disk space on a 1.4TB file system

Well, running in 10 hours doesn't mean there's a software problem, nor
does running out of disk space.

Please crunch some numbers before you ask, such as how much disk space
was used by the query, how big you'd expect it to be etc, plus provide
information such as what the primary key of the large table is and what
is your release level is etc..

Are you sure you want to retrieve an estimated 3 billion rows? Can you
cope if that estimate is wrong and the true figure is much higher? Do
you think the estimate is realistic?

--
Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com